INSPECTION DIVISIONS OF BCA
SPECIAL PROJECTS CONSTRUCTION DIVISION
Seffy Wiles, Division Manager
Special Projects Construction Division is responsible for providing inspection services to proprietory departments for their capital improvement projects. These departments include but not limited to:
- Los Angeles World Airport
- Port of Los Angeles
- Department of Water and Power
This Division also oversees Special Permit Construction in the Right-of Way, City wide. Such improvements include telecommunications, gas, water and power utilities, Excavation and lateral support.
The Division also operates the Materials Control Section which oversees the manufacture and fabrication of all materials and products that are incorporated into City construction work.
GENERAL SERVICES DIVISION
Chris L. Smith, Division Manager
General Services Division is responsible for specialized construction Inspection support and control activities for the Bureau's construction Divisions. These activities are divided into special function Supervisory Groups:
- Project Administration
- Special Reseach & Investigation (SRI)
- Materials Control
WASTEWATER CONSTRUCTION DIVISION
John Olinger, Division Manager
The Wastewater Division is responsible for providing inspection and contract administration services for all sewer related contracts issued by the Board of Public Works. This includes all repairs, rehabilitations or replacements needed on the 6500 miles of sewer pipes in the City.
We also provide the same services at the City's four wastewater treatment plants which process over 300 million gallons of wastewater per day. There are over 40 BCA inspectors overseeing this work across the City. Our staff includes experts in the fields of trenchless technology including pipe liners, micro tunneling, tunnel boring machine operations and cast in place lining. Our plant inspection staff includes electrical, mechanical, instrumentation and building specialists.
The Division is divided into three districts grouped primarily by work programs. Those Districts and some of their current work programs are as follows:
- District W1 District W1 provides inspection and contract management services at the City's four wastewater treatment plants which are Hyperion Treatment Plant in El Segundo, Donald C. Tillman Water Reclamation Plant in the Sepulveda Basin, Los Angeles -Glendale Water Reclamation Plant in Glendale and the Terminal Island Water Treatment plant in the Port of Los Angeles.
- District W2 District W2 provides inspection and contract management services on the Secondary Sewer Renewal Program (SSRP) These projects are part of the City's compliance with a ten year legal settlement to rehabilitate 50 miles of smaller sewer pipes per year till 2015. This group also oversees the quality construction of several major sewer reconstruction projects.
- District W3 District W3 provides inspection and contract management services on all Emergency Sewer Repairs (ESR) as well as several major and secondary sewer rehabilitation and replacement projects similar to those in district W2.
METROPOLITAN CONSTRUCTION DIVISION
Frank Rinaldi, Division Manager
This division operates within a geographical area south of Mulholland Drive and the Northeast Los Angeles communities to the Harbor and to Fairfax Ave on the west side. In this area we administer contracts and permits for public works improvements within the street right of way; and administer contracts for parks, recreation facilities, clean water projects, public buildings and other improvements; and provide inspection services including quality control and quality assurance services for such projects. To ensure efficient operations we maintain division offices in Central Los Angeles and district office in San Pedro. Our staff is assigned to these projects to ensure that the contractors engaged by various public agencies and private developers construct public improvements safely and to the high standards required for public works. We also administer all MTA programs City wide.
- Districts 1 & 6: includes communities in the areas south of Martin Luther King Boulevard and east of Fairfax Avenue to the Harbor area on the south end (D1: San Pedro, Wilmington, Terminal Island, and Harbor Gateway communities, and D6 includes the Hyde Park, Leimert Park, and Watts communities).
Roosevelt Bagby, District Supervisor
- District 2: includes the communities in Hollywood, Southeast and Northeast Los Angeles areas to the 10 Frwy on the south and Fairfax Avenue on the west to the east City boundaries (Hollywood, Los Feliz, Franklin Hills, Atwater Village, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Westlake, Wilshire, Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Cypress Park, Glassell Park, Mount Washington and Garvanza, Hermon, Montecito Heights, Monterey Hills, Elsereno, Lincoln Heights, and Boyle Heights).
Angela Martinez, District Supervisor
- District 4: includes the communities between the west City boundary and the East City boundary, south of 10 Frwy, north of Martin Luther King (Central Los Angeles, China Town, Little Tokyo Southeast Los Angeles, South Los Angeles, West Adams, and Baldwin Hills).
Chris Cox, District Supervisor
VALLEY CONSTRUCTION DIVISION
Brett McReynolds , Division Manager
The Valley Construction Division provides construction management and project administration services north of Mulholland Drive:
- Districts 3 & 5: includes the communities in the area west of Fairfax Avenue to Santa Monica Bay and south of Mulholland Drive to Grand Avenue in El Segundo (D3 includes the communities of the Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Palms, Mar Vista, Del Rey, Venice, Westchester, Playa Del Rey, and the airport area, and D5 includes the communities of Bel Air, Beverly Crest, Westwood, West Los Angeles and the westerly part of the Wilshire area).
- District 7 - North East Valley District 7 provides construction management and project administration services for the communities of Sylmar, Arleta, Pacoima, Sunland, Tujunga, Lake View Terrace, Shadow Hills, La Tuna Canyon, Sun Valley, Mission Hills, Panorama City, North Hills and portions of Van Nuys.
- District 8 - South East Valley District 8 provides construction management and project administration services for the communities of Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Toluca Lake, Cahuenga Pass, Valley Village, North Hollywood, Griffith Park, the northerly part of Atwater Village, and most of Van Nuys. The District Manager also has responsibility for the Zoo capital construction program.
- District 9 & 10 - South West & North West Valley Districts 9 & 10 provides construction management and project administration services for the communities of Encino, Tarzana, Canoga Park, Woodland Hills, Winnetka, West Hills, Reseda, and West Van Nuys.
The Valley Construction Division provides services for the Department of Public Works capital improvement program including the bridge program, the street program, the street lighting program (see above,) and various other improvement projects, including:
- The Zoo Department’s capital improvement program.
- The Department of Recreation & Parks capital improvement program including Proposition K funded projects.
- The Department of Transportation capital improvement program including their automated traffic surveillance and control work, new bicycle paths, parking structures and lots, traffic signalization work, roadway traffic striping, and private development projects relating to traffic improvements.
- The Department of Water & Power facilities ranging from new water trunk lines to water quality projects.
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority projects within the public (street) right of way including intersection work and bicycle paths associated with MTA construction when these facilities are to be owned, maintained and operated by the City of Los Angeles.