SUBCONTRACTOR APPROVAL REQUIREMENTS
ALL SUBCONTRACTORS WHO WILL BE WORKING ON THE PROJECT SHALL BE APPROVED IN WRITING BY THE INSPECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK, REGARDLESS OF THE DOLLAR AMOUNT OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED, AND WHETHER OR NOT THEY WERE LISTED IN THE ORIGINAL BID.
All requests for subcontractor approval are to be forwarded to:
John L. Reamer, Jr.
Inspector of Public Works
1149 S. Broadway St., Suite 300
Los Angeles, California 90015
Attn: Division Manager
General Services Division
Information may be FAXED to (213) 847-2772 or eMailed to BCA.Subapproval@lacity.org.
All requests for subcontractor approval must contain the following:
- Project Name
- Project Work Order Number
- Subcontractor's Name
- Subcontractor's Address
- Subcontractor's Phone Number
- Subcontractor's Status ( WBE, MBE, OBE )
- Subcontractor's State of California Contractor License Number
- Subcontractor's L.A. City Business Tax Registration Certificate Number (BTRC)
- Dollar amount of Subcontract work to be performed
- Description of Subcontract work to be performed
Failure to provide any of the information listed will result in denial of approval until such time as the information is provided. Requirements for approval of subcontractors is contained in Article 00311 of the Bureau of Engineering Master Specification General Conditions.
- Each Subcontractor who will perform work or render services in an amount in excess of ½ of 1 percent of the Contractor's Total Original Bid, or $10,000, whichever is greater, must be listed in the original bid.
- Subletting or Subcontracting of any portion of the work in excess of ½ of 1 percent of the Contractor's Total Original Bid, or $10,000, whichever is greater, for which no Subcontractor was designated in the original bid shall be permitted only in cases of public emergency or necessity, and then only after a finding reduced in writing as a public record of the Inspector setting forth the facts constituting the emergency, necessity, or change in scope.
- If the Contractor fails to specify a Subcontractor, or if the Contractor specifies more than one Subcontractor for the same portion of work to be performed under the contract in excess of ½ of 1 percent of the Contractor's Total Original Bid, or $10,000, whichever is greater, the Contractor agrees that it is fully qualified to perform that portion of the work itself, and that it shall perform that portion itself.
- Escrow documents and/or Good Faith Documentation are not considered part of the Contractor's Original Bid and will not be considered when determining approval of subcontractor requests.
- Failure to obtain approval by the Inspector prior to each Subcontractor performing work on the Project may result in suspension of work by that subcontractor, removal of work performed by unapproved subcontractor(s), assessment of penalties, and possible sanctions against the Contractor.
- Additional Subcontractor(s) may be added after the time of the original Bid. The value of work to be performed by additional Subcontractor(s) may not be greater than ½ of 1 percent of the Contractor's Original Total Bid, or $10,000, whichever is greater, unless the Subcontractor will be performing work added by Change Order.